Hong Kong MTR Services
Hong Kong has an extensive rail transport network. The Airport Express, a railway to Shenzhen, the Light Rail, and the MTR are merged into a single network. It has convenient interchange stations and the uniform payment system.
The MTR (Mass Transit Railway) is the most popular public transport and a very convenient way of traveling thoughout the city. It connects Hong Kong Island, Kowloon, the New Territories and Lantau Island. There are ten lines in the MTR system with over 80 stations: Island Line, Kwun Tong Line, Tsuen Wan Line, Tung Chung Line, Tseung Kwan O Line, Ma On Shan Line, East Rail Line, West Rail Line, the Airport Express and Disneyland Resort Line. It also comprises Light Rail networks that operate in the North West New Territories. The sign of the MTR is a red circle with a white symbol. Most trains run every 2-4 minutes from 6:00am till 1:00am.
Trains and Stations
The MTR consists of over 80 stations. The stations are clean and conveniently located in all major places. One of the most impressive things about Hong Kong MTR is its navigation. Each station has excellent navigation. The direction signs, showing exits and direction to the platform(s), are everywhere. The electronic displays on the platforms show the estimated time of the upcoming trains.
At each station passengers will see ticket issuing machines, add value machines and Octopus enquiry machines. Ticket issuing machines are used to buy single journey tickets. Each ticket machine accepts coins: 50 cents, HK$1, HK$2, HK$5 and HK$10; and some of them accept banknotes. Add value machines are used to top up Octopus cards and accept notes of HK$50 and HK$100. Octopus enquiry machines are used to check the remaining value and the detailed information of the last 10 Octopus transactions.
For more information, please visit Octopus Card.
Almost each station has multiple exits. Each exit of the station has lettering (A, B, C and so on), and if an exit has branching a figure is added. (A1, A2, A3, B1, B2 and so on). These exits lead to the most meaningful buildings and areas. Apart from the lettering, each exit (entry) contains information about the name of the line, service hours, time of the first and the last trains.
All trains are clean, air-conditioned and very convenient.
There are interactive maps inside the trains. The information is duplicated in both English and Chinese. So, passengers see where they are now, where the interchange stations are, directions and which side of the train exits to the station.
Fares, Tickets and Payment Methods
The MTR fare starts from HK$3.5 (Adult) and is calculated based on the distance traveled (final destination). Also, it depends on the age and method of payment. For example:
|Method of Payment (HK$)||Adult||Child||Elderly|
|A ride from Causeway Bay to Mong Kok takes ~16 mins and costs:|
|Single Journey Ticket||$12||$5.5||$5.5|
|A ride from Causeway Bay to Disneyland Resort takes ~44 mins and costs:|
|Single Journey Ticket||$26||$13.5||$13.5|
In order to see all possible fares on the MTR as well as the journey times, please use the MTR Journey Planner.
Tourists and locals can pay for their rides by cash, using single journey tickets, or Octopus card.
- Single Journey Ticket. It is used for a single journey on the MTR. The fare depends on the distance traveled. There are two types: Adult and Concessionary. Concessionary tickets are for children aged 3 to 11 and senior citizens aged 65 or above. The tickets can be purchased at any ticket issuing machine at all MTR stations.
- Octopus Card. It is a contactless smart card, which was designed specially as a payment method on the MTR. Using of Octopus gives three major benefits. Firstly, there is no need to waste time to buy single journey tickets at the ticket machines. Secondly, in most cases the fares using Octopus are cheaper than single journey tickets. Thirdly, it can be used as a payment method on other modes of public transport, such as buses, tramways and ferries, as well as in ministores and shops, like 7-eleven. As a result, it is used by most Hong Kong residents. The card can be purchased at the airport or at any MTR station. To use it, simply swipe the card at the entrance barrier and one more time at the exit barrier (destination station). For more information, please visit Octopus Card.
Apart from the types above, there are other types, which are less popular with tourists.
- Tourist Day Pass. It is valid for 1 month from the purchase date and offers any 1 day (24 consecutive hours, starting from the first journey on the MTR) of unlimited rides on the MTR and the Light Rail (except the Airport Express, MTR Bus, East Rail Line First Class and journeys to/from Lo Wu and Lok Ma Chau stations). The day pass can be purchased at designated MTR Customer Service Centers at the price of HK$55.
A Child Tourist Day Pass can be purchased at the price of HK$25.
- Tourist Cross-boundary Travel Pass. It is valid for 1 month from the purchase date and used for 2 single journeys to/from Lo Wu or Lok Ma Chau stations within 1 or 2 consecutive days. Also, during the same 1 or 2 consecutive days holders can enjoy unlimited rides on the MTR and the Light Rail (except the Airport Express, MTR Bus, East Rail Line First Class, and additional journeys to/from Lo Wu and Lok Ma Chau stations). The cross-boundary pass can be purchased at Hung Hom, Lo Wu and Lok Ma Chau stations at the price of HK$85/HK$120 respectively.
- Monthly Pass Extra. It is used for unlimited rides between designated stations within the valid month and is more suitable for Hong Kong residents than for tourists.
Airport Express Services
The Airport Express line links the airport and the downtown, and consists of five stations: AsiaWorld-Expo, Airport, Tsing Yi, Kowloon and Hong Kong. It is the fastest way to get to downtown.
Airport ›› Kowloon Station - 21 minutes.
Airport ›› Hong Kong Station (Central) - 24 minutes.
For rides to and from Hong Kong International Airport passengers may choose one of the following ticket types:
- Octopus Card. Octopus holders can enjoy a free return journey within the same day (except a journey between the airport and AsiaWorld-Expo).
- Airport Express Single Journey Ticket. It is valid ONLY on the purchase date and used for a single journey on the Airport Express. The ticket can be purchased at any Airport Express customer service center or ticket issuing machine.
- Airport Express Same Day Return Ticket. It is the same as the single journey ticket (price, valid period and places of purchase), but comprises a free return journey within the same day (except a journey between the airport and AsiaWorld-Expo).
- Airport Express Round Trip Ticket. Valid for 30 days from the purchase date, it provides a discount up to 22% on a return journey between the airport and the designated station. The ticket can be purchased at any Airport Express customer service center (except AsiaWorld-Expo station) or online.
- Airport Express Travel Pass. Specially designed for tourists, this smart card comprises one or two Airport Express journeys and any 3 consecutive days of unlimited rides on the MTR, Light Rail and MTR Bus. Also, it can be used as a standard adult Octopus. The travel pass can be purchased at any Airport Express or designated MTR customer service centers at the price of HK$220/HK$300 respectively. The valid period is 180 days from the purchase date. For more information, please visit Airport Express Travel Pass.
|Fare Table (HK$)||Octopus Card||Single Journey||Same Day Return||Round Trip|
|Adult - including persons aged 65 or above; Child - aged 3 - 11.|
|Airport - Tsing Yi||$60||$30||$60||$30||$60||$30||$110|
|Airport - Kowloon||$90||$45||$90||$45||$90||$45||$160|
|Airport - Hong Kong||$100||$50||$100||$50||$100||$50||$180|
|Airport - AsiaWorld-Expo||$5||$2.5||$5||$2.5||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|AsiaWorld-Expo - Tsing Yi||$60||$30||$60||$30||$60||$30||N/A|
|AsiaWorld-Expo - Kowloon||$90||$45||$90||$45||$90||$45||N/A|
|AsiaWorld-Expo - Hong Kong||$100||$50||$100||$50||$100||$50||N/A|
For more information, please visit Airport Express.
- Tourist Day Pass, Child Tourist Day Pass, Tourist Cross-boundary Travel Pass and Airport Express Travel Pass are for tourists ONLY, who have been in Hong Kong for less than 14 days at the time of purchase.
Hints & Tips
- If you are planning to stay in Hong Kong for 3 or more days, it is a good idea to buy an Octopus Card or Airport Express Travel Pass instead of using the single journey tickets.
- MTR Corporation Limited offers discounts and promotions for its passengers on a regular basis. The full list of benefits is available here.
- For passengers convenience the MTR announced MTR Mobile, which is designed to provide the enhanced information about the MTR, such as the Journey Planner, Exits Info, Stations Facilities, MTR Shops, etc.
Discounts & Promotions
- Tourists can buy a Tourist Day Pass Souvenir Pack for HK$68, which includes one limited edition tourist day pass, one key chain and one MTR system map.
- There are group tickets on the Airport Express services, which provide discounts up to 40% for those who travel in a group or family (up to 4 persons).
|24-hour MTR Hotline||+852 2881 8888|
|Lost Property Office / Student Travel Card Office||+852 2861 0020|
|Octopus Customer Hotline||+852 2266 2222|